This was a dish made from ingredients selected from a whole range of random items suggested by people on Instagram. It was a lot of fun and turned out really great in the end. The smokiness of the paprika in particular was very delicious with the duck and nicely interacted with the smoked water mellon sauce which though quite sweet was also nicely balanced by the acidity from the pickles and balsamic.
Some of the best followers on Instagram ever
2 Duck breasts
2 asparagus spears
Handful of Green peppercorns
Splash of Balsamic vinegar
A water mellon
Half a small Cauliflower
Hand full of Samphire
Hand full of Polenta
Hand full of Parmesan
Splash of ruby port
1. Season the duck heavily with salt, paprika and green pepper. But in a sous vide for at least 2 hours at 54c.
2. Make the polenta. Pour the grain into a pan and cover in water. Season with parmesan and salt and cook until smooth. Then pour into a sheet pan or plate and leave to set in the fridge.
3. Cut up the water mellon and smoke in cherry wood for 20 mins. Puree, sieve and reduce with port and balsamic vinegar.
4. Shave some asparagus spears using a vegetable peeler
5. When the polenta is set, remove from the fridge and cut into squares. Then fry in a hot pan with olive oil until crispy.
6. Steam the cauliflower until tender then puree with some samphire and pass through a sieve before adding a wedge of butter. Reserve a couple of florettes and steep in vinegar for 20 mins.
7. When the duck is cooked remove from the bag, wash in warm water and then pat dry on kitchen towel. Sear the skin until crispy then let rest for 5 mins.